Saturday, April 3, 2010

Activity 5. Shape from Texture Using Spectral Moments

I. Introduction
A solution to compute the shape of curved surfaces from texture information is presented in the paper of Super and Bovik et.al. In their research work, the authors discussed an accurate method for computing the local spatial-frequency moments of a textured image through the use of Gabor functions and their derivatives. The key in this method is to recover the 3D reconstruction through the tilt and slant of the texture image.

II. Methods
In this activity we were tasked to capture a textured 3D object and reconstruct it by utilizing the Gabor functions and the method used by Super and Bovik et.al. in their research. Another way to find an object with repeating patterns, any object may be wrapped by a repeating pattern like net that is readily available.

The figures below are the ones that I used. With the repeating patterns on the object's surface, the object was reconstructed as mentioned above.

Figure 1. The 3D objects for the reconstruction.


III. Results
This activity is very hard for me. This is done by the researchers for quite some time and me as an amateur to Matlab and image processing know certainly that I cannot do this by myself. That's why I'd like to thank my pretty Loren Tusara for helping me a lot in this activity. Thank you.

So here is the result that I got using the pictures above. These are arranged corresponding to the images in Figure 1.


I give myself a grade of 10. :) Thanks to Loren. Ang hirap ng thesis mo friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment